I love going on long road trips, but when the initial excitement has worn off, and there’s not much to look at, I get a bit bored. When you’ve talked about your future travel plans and listened to all your playlists, it may be time to break out the road trip trivia questions.
Whether you’re traveling with your kid and trying to impress or distract them (and it does work, at least in my experience!) or with your friends trying to prove who has the most knowledge about a topic, you’ll love these car ride trivia questions. You may even want to print this list out for the times you don’t have any service when you’re in the middle of nowhere and really bored. These questions will make the time go much quicker.
I compiled a master list of trivia for car rides, whether you’re a car lover wondering what the top-selling car model of all time is or parents traveling with kids who want to test their name on Disney princesses. That way, you’ll all stay entertained whether you’re on a Seattle to Crater Lake road trip or driving from Vancouver to Banff.
With that, let’s get into all these trivia games to play in the car so you can impress your carmates!
Road Trip Trivia Questions for Movie Lovers
We’ve all seen dozens, if not hundreds, of movies over our lifetimes. But have you ever wondered how much you really know about your favorite movies? This road trip trivia game will test your movie trivia knowledge to see just that.
- What was the first feature-length animated movie ever released? Answer: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
- Who directed the movie Jaws? Answer: Steven Spielberg
- What was the character’s name played by Johnny Depp in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies? Answer: Captain Jack Sparrow
- Which movie features the characters Andy Dufresne and Red and is based on a Stephen King novella? Answer: The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
- Who played the character of Forrest Gump in the movie of the same name? Answer: Tom Hanks
- In the movie Star Wars, what is the name of Han Solo’s ship? Answer: Millennium Falcon
- Which actress won an Academy Award for her role in the movie Black Swan? Answer: Natalie Portman
- What is the highest-grossing movie of all time (as of 2021)? Answer: Avatar (2009)
- Which movie features the song “Let It Go?” Answer: Frozen (2013)
- Who played the character of the Joker in the movie The Dark Knight? Answer: Heath Ledger
- In the movie The Matrix, what is the name of the main character played by Keanu Reeves? Answer: Neo
- Which movie features the song “My Heart Will Go On?” Answer: Titanic (1997)
- Who directed the movie Titanic? Answer: James Cameron
- Which actor played the character of James Bond in the movie Die Another Day? Answer: Pierce Brosnan
- In the movie The Lion King, what type of animal is Timon? Answer: Meerkat
Make sure to reserve your rental car ahead of time! I love using Discover Cars for my trips.
Road Trip Trivia for Travel Enthusiasts
Traveling is one of my favorite ways to explore new cultures and educate myself about the world. That’s why travel is always my favorite category, and you’ll love these car ride trivia questions to ask your passengers. From famous landmarks to unique customs, this travel road trip quiz covers a wide range of topics to help inspire your wanderlust.
Make sure to have your Instagram road trip captions ready to go while on the road so you can post your next picture!
- What is the tallest mountain in the world? Answer: Mount Everest
- Which city is home to the famous landmark, the Colosseum? Answer: Rome, Italy
- What is the largest island in the world by area? Answer: Greenland
- Which country is known for its tulips, windmills, and wooden shoes? Answer: The Netherlands
- Which U.S. state is home to the Grand Canyon? Answer: Arizona
- What is the capital city of Japan? Answer: Tokyo
- What is the name of the famous ancient city in Peru with stone terraces and llamas? Answer: Machu Picchu
- What is the name of the largest hot desert in the world? Answer: Sahara Desert
- Which African country is known for its wildlife and safaris? Answer: Kenya
- What is the name of the river that runs through Paris? Answer: Seine River
- What is the name of the largest coral reef system in the world? Answer: Great Barrier Reef
- Which country is known for its beautiful beaches, samba dancing, and Christ the Redeemer statue? Answer: Brazil
- What is the capital city of South Africa? Answer: Cape Town (or Pretoria)
- Which country is home to the famous Angkor Wat temple complex? Answer: Cambodia
- Which U.S. state is known for its beautiful beaches, theme parks, and oranges? Answer: Florida
U.S. Travel Trivia for Car Rides
The United States is a country full of different terrain and people, which is a big reason I’m obsessed with road trips. Even if you’ve lived here your whole life, how much do you really know about the United States? Test your knowledge with these car trip trivia questions on the United States, whether you’re doing a road trip from Los Angeles or a smaller one around your hometown.
- Which river forms much of the border between Mexico and the United States? Answer: Rio Grande
- Which state is known as the “Sunflower State?” Answer: Kansas
- What is the capital city of California? Answer: Sacramento
- Which national park is home to the Old Faithful geyser? Answer: Yellowstone National Park
- In what year did the United States declare its independence from Great Britain? Answer: 1776
- What is the largest state by land area in the United States? Answer: Alaska
- Who is the current Vice President of the United States? Answer: Kamala Harris
- Which state is known as the “Hoosier State?” Answer: Indiana
- What is the name of the U.S. national anthem? Answer: The Star-Spangled Banner
- Which state is known as the “Tar Heel State?” Answer: North Carolina
- Who was the first President of the United States? Answer: George Washington
- What is the name of the bridge that connects San Francisco to Marin County, California? Answer: Golden Gate Bridge
- Which state is known as the “Lone Star State?” Answer: Texas
- Which U.S. city is known as the “Windy City?” Answer: Chicago, Illinois
- What is the name of the famous canyon located in northern Arizona? Answer: Grand Canyon
I’ve been using Roadtrippers for years to help me plan out my trips and find fun stops along the way. Use my code “BTR5QTP” for $5 off when you sign up!
Road Trip Trivia for Kids
Having two kids myself, I know how difficult it is to keep them entertained on long drives. In addition to packing the right road trip snacks for kids, they need games as well. That’s why these road trip trivia questions for kids are the perfect way to pass the time and make the trip more fun and educational (which means fewer “are we there yet?”s).
I consider this part of a family road trip packing list, as entertainment is key with kids!
- What is the largest animal on Earth? Answer: Blue whale
- What is the capital of the United States? Answer: Washington, D.C.
- Which planet in our solar system is known as the “Red Planet?” Answer: Mars
- What is the name of the fairy in Peter Pan? Answer: Tinker Bell
- Which bird is known for its distinctive call that sounds like it is laughing? Answer: Kookaburra
- What is the smallest planet in our solar system? Answer: Mercury
- What is the name of the lion in The Lion King? Answer: Simba
- How many continents are there in the world? Answer: Seven
- What is the name of the princess in Disney’s movie, Frozen? Answer: Elsa
- What is the name of the boy who never grows up in Peter Pan? Answer: Peter Pan
- Which famous scientist is known for developing the theory of relativity? Answer: Albert Einstein
- Which mammal is capable of true flight? Answer: Bat
- What is the name of the famous wizard in the Harry Potter series? Answer: Harry Potter
- Which instrument is known as the “king of instruments?” Answer: Pipe organ
- What is the name of the force that pulls all objects toward the center of the Earth? Answer: Gravity
Car Ride Trivia Questions for Car Enthusiasts
Since you’re taking an automobile to go on your trip, you might as well learn some facts about them. These car trip trivia questions cover everything from the history of cars to the latest innovations in automotive technology.
- What is the top-selling car model of all time? Answer: Toyota Corolla
- Which car manufacturer is credited with inventing the first automobile? Answer: Karl Benz of Mercedes-Benz
- What was the first car mass-produced in the United States? Answer: Oldsmobile Curved Dash (1901)
- Which car brand has the famous slogan “The Ultimate Driving Machine?” Answer: BMW
- What is the name of the car famous for its gull-wing doors and featured in the movie Back to the Future? Answer: DeLorean DMC-12
- What was the first car to reach a speed of 100 mph? Answer: Mercedes 35 H.P. (1901)
- Which car brand is famous for its Mustang model? Answer: Ford
- What was the first car to have seat belts as a standard feature? Answer: Volvo PV544 (1959)
- Which car brand has the famous slogan “Zoom Zoom?” Answer: Mazda
- What was the first car produced on an assembly line? Answer: Ford Model T (1908)
- Which car brand is known for producing the Model S, X, Y, and 3 electric cars? Answer: Tesla
- What was the first car to have a V8 engine? Answer: Cadillac Type 51 (1915)
- Which car brand is famous for its 911 model? Answer: Porsche
- What was the first car to have air conditioning as a standard feature? Answer: Packard (1940)
- Which car brand is famous for its Wrangler and Cherokee models? Answer: Jeep
Road Trip Trivia for Music Lovers
We all listen to music on car rides, whether it’s pop, country, or a mix of everything. These road trip trivia questions and answers will help you know just a little more about the artist the next time you hear their song.
- Who wrote the song “Bohemian Rhapsody?” Answer: Freddie Mercury of the band Queen
- What was Elvis Presley’s middle name? Answer: Aaron
- Who is the lead singer of the band Coldplay? Answer: Chris Martin
- What instrument did Louis Armstrong play? Answer: Trumpet
- Who is the best-selling female artist of all time? Answer: Madonna
- Which British band had a hit in the 1980s with the song “Every Breath You Take?” Answer: The Police
- Who wrote the song “Purple Haze?” Answer: Jimi Hendrix
- Which country is known for the flamenco style of music? Answer: Spain
- Who is the lead singer of the band U2? Answer: Bono
- Which famous composer wrote the “Moonlight Sonata?” Answer: Ludwig van Beethoven
- Who is the “King of Pop?” Answer: Michael Jackson
- What is the name of the Beatles’ drummer? Answer: Ringo Starr
- What is the highest-selling album of all time? Answer: “Thriller” by Michael Jackson
- Who was the first rapper to win a Grammy Award? Answer: D.J. Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince (Will Smith)
- What was the name of Whitney Houston’s debut album? Answer: “Whitney Houston”
- Who composed the opera “The Barber of Seville?” Answer: Gioachino Rossini
Road trip trivia questions are a fun way to pass the time on your next car ride and make it go a little quicker, so hopefully, by now, you’re more educated and ready to impress your friends with your knowledge!